4-H Public Presentations
Coordinator: Andrea DeVries 509.303.9055
This is a new contest at our fair, it is open to all local 4-H members! It is a great opportunity for members to develop the life skill of public speaking, help to educate our community on their 4-H project and potentially be rewarded financially for their effort!
- Sign up on Monday at the 4-H building between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. or on Tuesday at the livestock office between noon and 5 p.m. You will be assigned a 10 or 15 minute time slot between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm on Saturday.
- Check back in the 4-H Building Wednesday morning or after to see your assigned time. If there is a conflict, please call the coordinator and we will find a time that works.
- The judges will be using the 4-H public presentation scorecard, found at https://pubs.wsu.edu/ItemDetail.aspx?ProductID=13092&SeriesCode=&CategoryID=274&Keyword=
- Two top awards will be given in each class; Junior, Intermediate and Senior, if entries are blue-ribbon eligible, at Judges’ discretion. First prize $75, Second prize $50, which will be awarded at the 4-H/FFA Trophy Presentation Saturday at 4:00pm.
- Public Presentations should be a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 20 minutes. The recommended time for Juniors is 3-8 minutes, Intermediates is 5-15 minutes and Seniors is 8-20 minutes. Maximum length includes set-up and clean-up time.
- Visual Aids – at least one poster is required as a visual aid. Additional posters and/or supplies are encouraged, but not required. Accommodations will not be available for powerpoint visuals at this time.
- (Optional) This is a helpful guide for developing a 4-H public presentation, if interested: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/em4788E/em4788E.pdf
Points: Participation Ribbon and 30 points
01 Primary/Cloverbud (will be given a participation ribbon and asked questions, but not judged)